Monday, February 22, 2016

Japanese Chicken

Yes I'm still alive! Even though I don't post as often as I use to, I promise to share when I find a wonderful recipe. I'm not about just posting recipes to post them- so you will know when I do that it's a tried and true recipe- just like this one! This chicken is so fabulous! I checked this cookbook out from the library and so far all the recipes I have tried were wonderful. I shared this Japanese chicken with my sister last week and she said, "Ummm...I think you undersold that chicken!" 
If you are a fan of the sweet and sour chicken this one is just as tasty but less than half of the work. If you want the extra effort, I'm sure you can fry the chicken up first before you put it into the oven to make it more crisp. But to me what makes it so great is that you can throw it right into the oven with minimal prep work.

Japanese Chicken
Recipe from Worldwide Ward Cookbook by Deanna Buxton
Note: This is halved from what the recipe says. I made 2 chicken breasts and 1 pound of chicken thighs with the below amounts. Even with this halved the sauce is plentiful. I even saved the leftover sauce and used it with some frozen popcorn chicken another night.

1 egg
1/2 cup flour
3 Tbsp sesame seeds
4 chicken breasts (or thighs worked wonderful for me!)
1/4 + 2 Tbsp soy sauce (or 6 Tbsp)
1 cup vinegar
half of a 1/3 cup water (just eyeball it)
2 cups sugar

Whip egg in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine flour and sesame seeds. Dip each chicken breast in the egg , then roll evenly and heavily in the flour mixture. Arrange chicken breasts in a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Mix soy sauce, vinegar, water, and sugar; pour over chicken breasts. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Serve with rice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.