Sunday, April 28, 2013

Chuck Roast



I always use to cook my Sunday roasts in the crock pot, but I switched to this recipe and I'm never going back. 
In Missouri my friend Sarra made the most delicious roast I have ever eaten (sorry Mom, lol). I asked her how she did it and she said the trick to really good flavored roast is to use chicken broth, not beef stock. Interesting. Since then I begged her for the complete recipe, along with the seasoning she used. We both get our roasted garlic herb seasoning from Sams club (it's weber brand), but I'm sure you could use any. I also thought it was fun she cut her potatoes into steak fry wedges rather than quartering them. 
*Quick Tip-Put the celery stalks in the center and lay the roast on top of the celery and this will keep it from sticking to the bottom. It will go to mush and not be good to eat, but it serves a good purpose and adds good flavor too :)


Chuck Roast
Recipe from Sarra Bauer


chuck roast (around 5 pounds or so)
6 big or 8 smaller potatoes, cut into steak fry wedges 
6-8 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-4 pieces (or around 2 cups baby carrots)
a few celery stalks 
roasted garlic herb seasoning
salt and pepper
1 1/2- 2 cups chicken broth

Season the roast on both sides with salt and pepper and with the garlic herb blend. Spray a large rimmed baking pan with nonstick. (don't use a roasting tray you want the roast to sit in the broth) Lay the seasoned roast in the center of the pan (on top the celery if you can) and arrange the veggies around the roast. Sprinkle a little of the seasoning on the veggies too. Add 1 1/2- 2 cups of chicken broth. Cover with tinfoil and bake at 400 for 4 hours. If you are using smaller than 5 pound roast you might need to cook it for less time.

No comments: