Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Barbecued Burgers

(Updated from 2009)
I love these burgers! They are so juicy and yummy! It does take extra time to make the barbecue from scratch, but it's super yummy, sweet and tangy. Please don't ruin it with any other condiments like mayonnaise or mustard. (but ultimately it's your choice I guess lol) I like mine with a tomato, maybe some lettuce, and extra barbecue sauce drizzled on top. If you end up with extra barbecue sauce you can make a barbecue chicken pizza or squirt chicken.
Barbecued Burgers
Makes 6 burgers
Recipe from Taste of Home Backyard Grilling

Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
2 tsp mustard
1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1/8 tsp pepper

Burgers:
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup oats
1/4 tsp onion salt
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
6 hamburger buns
choice of toppings


In a small saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients (sauce) and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside 1 cup barbecue sauce to serve with burgers. In a bowl combine egg, oats, 1/4 cup remaining barbecue sauce, onion salt, garlic salt, and salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 6 patties and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (this ensures that they will stay together on the grill) but you can skip this step if you need to. Grill covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160 degrees, basting with the remaining 1/2 cup barbecue sauce during the last 5 minutes. (I baste before flipping, so I put it on top the burgers, flip them over and then baste again on top and grill until they are done). Serve on buns with toppings and reserved sauce.

2 comments:

FPIESmommy said...

I just found your blog and I love it! I can't wait to try all the recipes for my family and milk/soy allergic daughter! So glad to find other moms out there dealing with similar allergies. Thanks!

Holly said...

I love to cook, but seriously. I think I'll just move in with you.